|Organizers Forum: Resisting Anti-Blackness in Disability Spaces
The Organizers Forum can be used for us to explore how to make disability spaces and disability organizations actively anti-racist. Thank you to those who have been part of previous conversations to challenge ourselves and each other, and welcome to those who are committed to creating stronger and more just disability spaces. In honor of Black History Month, National Disability Rights Network has launched a series called Disability Rights in Black, which features a new video by incredible Black disabled people every day of the month. On Tuesday’s call, we will learn from Azza Altiraifi and Valerie Novack and talk about what we are all doing or commit to doing to resist anti-Blackness in our organizations and circles.
We’ll be on video! These difficult conversations go better when we connect on mutliple levels, so if you can use video, please do. Click the Zoom link above and turn on your webcam, or you can just call in from your phone. Please test your webcam and speakers before the call.
Accommodations & CART:
- The call will have real-time captioning (CART) at: https://2020archive.1capapp.com/event/forum/. No username and password needed, when you log on at the time of the call.
- To ask questions via CART: Sign-in to the chat function on the right side of the transcript and type your question. One of the call facilitators will read questions posted there. You can also type questions through the Zoom video portal.
- Because we want to maximize the generously donated CART services, we will begin the call promptly at 1:00 p.m. and end the call promptly at 2:00 p.m. Eastern.
- Thank you to the National Disability Leadership Alliance for sponsoring the captioning of this call. Thank you to Senior and Disability Action for providing the video conference service.
- If you need additional accommodations to participate in the call, please let the Organizers Forum know as soon as possible.
Mark your calendars!
The Organizer’s Forum has a call on the 3rd Tuesday of each month, 1:00-2:00 p.m. Eastern.
Background: The Organizing Workgroup of the National Disability Leadership Alliance hosts these calls the third Tuesday of every month as a resource for disability organizers, in an effort toward building the organizing capacity of the disability community across the country. They generally follow the format of a Welcome followed by 2-3 experts in a given area speaking for a few minutes on their experiences,advice and challenges. The calls include a 20-30 minute question and answer period.
Please share widely!