VITA – Free Income Tax Preparation Assistance
You may be eligible for free assistance with filing your taxes and applying for the Earned Income Tax Credit with the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA). VITA volunteers are certified and trained by the Internal Revenue Service and can help you prepare a basic return.
VITA is for people with income under $54,000, people with disabilities, seniors, and others who need special help. To find the VITA location nearest you, call 1-800-906-9887 or visit https://irs.treasury.gov/freetaxprep/ . Be sure to check dates and hours of operation.
Bring the following:
· Photo ID for you and your spouse, if filing jointly.
· Social Security Cards for you (& your spouse & dependents, if applicable).
· Your W-2, W-2G, or 1099-R form, and your 1099 form, if applicable.
· A copy of last year’s tax return, if you filed.
· Want your refund by direct deposit? Bring your bank routing numbers and account numbers.
· This is not an exhaustive list. Call the VITA location nearest you and ask what you should bring.
For people with disabilities who file their taxes themselves, the Internal Revenue Service has provided a page with accessibility information, including large print tax forms and instructional videos in American Sign Language: http://fifthfreedom.org/l/irs .